Friday, March 4, 2011

Under the Rainbow


Rainbow over Maple Grove
When I was a child I liked the idea of a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.   I never thought it was possible to see the end of a rainbow touching the ground until I saw this one. Then I joked and said, "Now we know that Maple Grove is the "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow.  Sometimes it feels like that.  We feel so blessed by God. 

We know the real meaning and significance of a rainbow goes way beyond us, however.  God placed the rainbow in the sky following the Great Flood and promised Noah that He would never destroy the earth with a flood again.

"I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. . . Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth” (Genesis 9:13, 16).

The rainbow is a sign of God's solemn promise to Noah and to all people for all generations that He will never destroy the earth by flood again, but it is much more. Anytime we see a rainbow in the sky, we can be comforted and confident, knowing that God loves us and keeps all of His promises.

People may break promises, but God, who cannot lie, always keeps His promises.  Can you think of some of the many promises God made to us in His Word?  The greatest promise which God ever made to mankind is salvation. 

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

No comments:

Post a Comment