Friday, April 15, 2011

Building for the Future


"Unless the Lord build the house, those who build it labor in vain"
(Psalm 127:1).

This week I noticed a robin beginning to build her nest on the sill of our bathroom window.  A few times a day I would reach out the window and brush off strands of dried grass and clumps of mud.  This went on for several days. 

It is for the robin's good that I object to the location.  This window is situated inside our shower/tub surround and close to the adjacent family room window.  While the robin has her eye on this choice property, I know that the "neighborhood" will not provide this family of robins the privacy they need. 

Although her will and mine are in opposition to each other, the robin's instincts are strong, and she is very determined.  She refused to give up.  When I got home late yesterday afternoon, I saw that she had really busied herself and finished building her house.  I did not have the heart to tear it down. 

We'll have to watch and see how this robin story turns out.  We're not so different.  We often oppose God's will in our lives even when He throws obstacles in our way to deter us.  We have to remember that He knows what is best for us.  We can turn to His Word and approach Him in prayer as we seek His good and gracious will.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways... As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts"
(Isaiah 55:8-9).


1 comment:

  1. I had the same thing one year and the robin was DETERMINED to build a nest in our front door wreath that gets opened and closed ALL the time! I finally let it go and watched with amazement the entire process! Take a picture every day as you watch the nest. It's amazing to watch those little birdies grow!

    ReplyDelete