Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dirty Clean


Dust Bath at Maple Grove
"Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin"
(Psalm 51:2).

Chickens love to take dust baths! They dig a shallow hole, loosen up the dirt, and proceed to get themselves absolutely as "dirty clean" as they possibly can.  Dust bathing is necessary for the chickens' health and happiness.  It keeps their feathers clean and dry and prevents parasites from finding a home in their feathers, skin and legs. The dust bath is followed by a thorough shaking to ruffle the feathers and preening. My chickens seem happiest when they are freshly "cleaned."

We humans need a regular spiritual cleansing. When we bathe ourselves with God's Word, He gives us a thorough cleansing of our hearts, our minds, and our souls.  This "bathing" with God's Word involves not only hearing and reading it, but also learning, studying, memorizing and obeying it.  As we "preen" and put into practice what we learn from God's Word, we are empowered by His Spirit to remove the parasites of sin that threaten to harm us. We are happiest when our hearts and minds are clean and we are living our lives in keeping with His Word.  Have you had your bath today?

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the LORD. . . How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your Word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, LORD" (Psalm 119:1,9-12).

No comments:

Post a Comment